Tema Trotro



After a hot sweaty walk in the baking December sun, I finally arrive at the Tema-Ashaiman bus-stop in front of the famous Accra Mall where people from all walks of life troop to every day, many of whom do not leave there without taking photos of themselves in front of every "foreign" looking shop which of course gives them the feeling they're in small "abroad".

There are taxis sprawled across the
bus-stop. Even though there's a sign which says "Maximum Waiting Time 1 minute", the Tema and Ashaiman bound troskies 'load' empty vehicles which takes up to 15 minutes. I find my way to the back seat of the white remodeled 207 bus and take my favourite place at the left corner of the vehicle and make myself comfortable by a rusty window. I thank God because the seat is in good shape even though my long legs won't be getting any stretching room-thanks to the remodeling. I raise my head and lock eyes with a fine young man of cocoa brown complexion. Those are the darkest brown eyes I have ever seen. I usually hold my own in eye-duels like this one. Call me stubborn but I never want to look away for fear of missing the different expressions on the face of my contender.

In situations such as this one, the guy is surprised at first because it is always natural that the lady look away. The look of surprise curls with the lips into mild shock and then amazement. He is left with a look of epiphany that says "Ahh she won't budge." With my long-nosed, sunken-eyed trotro contender it's a little different. He is in the seat behind the front passenger seat by the door so that gives me an upper hand. I can stare without seeming obvious. When it comes to things like this, 'inconspicuous' is my middle name. Well, my fine gentleman also seems well grounded in these things. He gets off the stationary vehicle and pretends to adjust his seat. He leans comfortably against the bus with his arms folded, taking in the warm breeze he stares right back. I'm slightly amused because I know I have met my match. At this moment everything goes still, even the passengers seem to have stopped boarding the Tema trotro. I am discomfitted but I am salvaged by the sights and sounds right outside my window.

 At the other side of the road, unfolding before my eyes is one of the most dangerous pedestrian-driver games. A young smartly dressed lady trying to cross to the other side, walks leisurely and when she gets to the middle of the road, the driver of the on-coming vehicle steps hard on the accelerator charging at her with such unprecedented speed she is forced to run for her life. She eyes the driver gingerly from her side of the road and the driver with an amused larger-than-life grin, winks at her. She stomps away from the scene. All the while that this is happening I feel a pair of eyes boring into me. I bring myself back into the trosky only to meet a dark brown gaze again! He flashes me a lopsided smile revealing buck teeth and takes his seat right away. This beautiful unexpected smile unsettles me. Everything happens so fast my brain is not given the chance to connect to my lips to produce one of my famous smiles. I stare dumbfounded at the back of his head, I can tell he is smiling; the way you know someone is smiling from watching the back of their head. I shake myself out of this stupor and say to myself, "Well, I guess I really have met my match today." The middle-aged rotund lady who has been sitting beside me for God knows how long peers at me with a questioning look from her glasses. I start humming one of the popular songs from the radio I didn't even know I knew the words to just so she will not wonder why I'm talking to myself.

-WFM

No comments:

Post a Comment